Butternut Squash & Quinoa Pilaf
A fantastic and easy to prepare pilaf dish, flavoured with coriander, turmeric and cumin. We developed this Moroccan-inspired recipe as a delicious side dish or even as a main meal on it’s own.
- One large butternut squash
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- One small onion, finely chopped
- Two cloves of garlic
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 200g British quinoa grains, rinsed
- 300ml water
- One tsp lemon zest
- Handful of raisins
- Handful of flaked almonds
- Chopped coriander
- Lemon juice
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Peel, deseed and then chop the butternut squash into cubes.
- Place on a baking tray with the ground coriander and a splash of oil and season with salt and pepper, before cooking in the oven until soft, turning regularly.
- Meanwhile, gently fry the onion in a pan with a little oil until translucent. Add the garlic, turmeric and ground cumin and cook for a further minute before adding the quinoa grains, water, lemon zest, a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to the boil, cover and cook on a very low heat until all the water has been absorbed.
- Leave to cool slightly before adding the raisins and flaked almonds.
- Serve the butternut squash on a bed of the quinoa, and finish with a sprinkle of chopped coriander and a little squeeze of lemon.